Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 8:16pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEW ZEALAND - Let's go fishing (Read 4729 times)
Bob Merrilees

Semper Fi

NEW ZEALAND - Let's go fishing
Jun 11th, 2008, 1:57pm

My wife, Kathie Marsaglia, has been invited to participate in a National Science Foundation-sponsored scientific cruise (her seventh) that begins and ends in Wellington, New Zealand next winter (the southern summer). The “Joides Resolution” ( http://www.iodp-usio.org/default.html in case you are interested) will be at sea from approximately November 12, 2008 to January 4, 2009.  

Since 2001 Kathie has traveled to NZ at least once and usually twice each year, sometimes with her CSUN students, sometimes with me and occasionally with both. In 2005/2006, after my retirement, she took a one-year sabbatical and we spent seven months of that time in NZ. Needless to say, we needed transportation during that time and purchased a Toyota Surf 4WD (similar to a 4Runner) which we have maintained ever since.  

I started fly-fishing in 2001 in NZ, arguably the premier trout fishery in the easily accessible world. I have opted for stream fishing versus lake fishing, though I have done both, but have never fished the salt there. We have put 50,000km on our truck on both islands, most of that in pursuit of trout. For every hour I have fished in the US, I have probably fished fifty hours in NZ. I have been a member of the Wellington Flyfishers Club (http://www.wellingtonflyfishers.org.nz/ ) since 2006.

Here’s the deal. I can leave for NZ anytime after December 1, 2008 and I can return anytime before January 31, 2009. Both of these dates are flexible. About one week of that time (January 4-11) will be spent with Kathie, probably on the North Island. I plan to fish somewhere in New Zealand during that time. I don’t really care where as I have fished a LOT of it already.  

I would like to share accommodations, transportation and an occasional fishing guide with another person. I would consider three or more in a group but in a group larger than three (myself included) they would have to rent their own vehicle(s). Please contact me ASAP if you are interested.  

Bob Merrilees
bob merrilees@yahoo.com

Shocked Some of the New Zealand rivers I have fished.  

Aparima River
Clutha River
Eglinton River
Hakataramea River
Hinemaiaia River
Hokitika River
Hutt River  
Maerewhenua River
Makarewa River
Manawatu River
Manganui o te Ao
Mangapapa River
Mataura River
Mohaka River
Motu River
Oamaru River
Oreti River
Otaki River
Rangitikei River
Ruamahanga River
Styx River
Taieri River
Takaka River
Tauranga Taupo River
Te Mata River
Te Wharau or Stony River
Tongariro River
Tukituki River
Waiau River
Waikanae River
Waikato River
Wainui River
Wainuiomata River
Waioeka River
Wairau River
Wairoa River
Waitahanui River
Whanganui River

(Note: wai is the Maori phrase for water)

See: http://www.nzfishing.com/AboutFishingInNZ/NZFishingWaters.htm

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2008, 5:28pm by Bob Merrilees »  
Email   IP Logged
jburk
Board Member
SBF Club Member

Re: NEW ZEALAND - Let's go fishing
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2008, 4:22pm

Good Luck.  That is ALL I CAN SAY.
NZ is great.

John

IP Logged