Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 7:13am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saltwater Gear Setup (Read 2502 times)
Dunes

Saltwater Gear Setup
Feb 26th, 2008, 8:09pm

I was wondering if you all could help me get set up for fly fishing on the ocean. I am moving to the central coast in April, after being gone for 10 years, and I was really hoping to pick up the hobby.

Does anybody have a standard list of equipment that they might recommend?
I don't want to go over board but wanted to make sure I was set up to take advantage of the time out on the water.  

Any links or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dune

IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Re: Saltwater Gear Setup
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2008, 9:16pm

Dune,

If you have a sink tip line and a 6 or 7 wt. rod you are ready to go.

The Artful Angler in Santa Barbara has all the gear to set you up.

I just bought a plastic, large arbor, Reddington reel from Eric, (the owner at the Artful Angler), for $50.00.

A Rio, Integrated, Sink Tip Line is about $59.00.

Put that on a 6 or 7 wt. rod and you are going to catch fish.  (I forgot: tie a fly on the end of the line).

Our club meets on the second Tuesday of the month.  You will meet good people who love to fish and talk about fishing.

A good website: http://www.garybulla.com/

Good Luck,

Joseph

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2008, 8:44am

Hi Dune,

Our club meets on the first Tuesday after the first Thursday so that can be the first or second Tuesday. Check the calendar for dates.

As Joseph mentioned a 7 wt is popular for local surf. A 6 or 8wt is can also be used. The rod should have good hardware that will stand up to the saltwater. It should also have good backbone (not a soft action rod.) Slow action, soft rods do not throw shooting heads well. A sinking shooting head integrated line will allow you to get long casts and get down fast. As a rule of thumb: 200 grain for a 6 wt, 250 for a 7 wt. and 300 for an 8 wt. The reel should also be able to take the saltwater. An inexpensive composite will not corrode but may not have as good a drag as a better anodised aluminum but will be fine to get you started. You can also use a shooting head attached to a running line attached with loops but the intergrated line is nicer.

What I use the most is a Snowbee 7 wt rod with a 250 grain intergrated sinking shooting head.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
lingcod
Board Member

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2008, 9:24am

Joe,

Thanks for giving a more precise explaination.

I was hoping to get Dune out there without too much fuss, you know, get him addicted to the fish thing and then he will have to start getting all the COOL stuff.

Hope to see you at the show this week-end.

Joseph

"The longer your cast the longer your line is in the water fishing". Lew Riffle
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2008, 9:44am

Hi Joseph,

If he stops to see Eric at the Artful Angler he can actually try an outfit. I just wanted to make sure he knew about the monthly meeting date. A lot of people get confused about the actual date every month. Coming to the meeting is a good idea. He can maybe hook up with someone that will take him out. Gary's site will also give him some good information on the local surf fishing.

I will only be at the show on Sunday. Hope to see you there.

Joe

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Dunes

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:42pm

Thank you for the information. Only 30 days until I move back to SB county. I will definitely try to make the meeting in May.  

Cheers, Dune

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:15pm

Dune,

There is no regular meeting in May. It will be replaced with the Annual Fundraiser event. You should come to that. There will be a lot of prizes and auction items, many will be for saltwater fishing.

http://www.sbflyfishers.com/fundraiser08.htm

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print