Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 13th, 2017, 5:16am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Middle Santa Ynez (Read 1195 times)
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Middle Santa Ynez
Jan 6th, 2008, 7:29am

The first round of storms was a drop in the bucket and now with this major system going through the first of the year we are on the way back from "droughtsville".  Maybe some of you know more. This just what I hear from my indian guide who lives up there.
Now the concerns..... Things are going to be really messed up because of the fires this summer. I lot of silt and debris.   First the Rancho burn from early in the summer (before the Zaca started ) burned out of the river bed north from Rancho Oso up onto that steep south slope between the Prietos and Falls crossings. This I suspect is going to be problematic with slides closing the the road if they have not allready have. Secondly the river crossings were under going reconstruction and did not get done before these past storms.  This is business as usual for the USFS and the games played by contractors. I had hoped since it was MaCarthy Construction doing the work that this was not going to happen but the dairy farm came about and they started milking the change order tree with complcations on the expansion of scope of work mainly due to  more extensive under cutting of rampways.  
Anyhow the short of it expect that we may not have  good of access to the river this spring if we have anymore storms like we have had thus far this winter.  Once Gibralter spills and the river starts acting like a river this crossing work gets real tough reasonably.  Gibralter will spill and stop with the stroms until Juncal starts spilling and then we will have the core flow that will open the taps.  The Forest Service has no good reason to open the road to the public until winter is over. How the DFG plants happen remains to be seen when the circus comes to town. Each spring is different...expect that.

Maybe things won't get that bad but if they do then I don't want to hear any whinning OK?      LEW

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Middle Santa Ynez
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2008, 8:58am

Well. What will be....will be.... Mother Nature and the construction company will take their own course. Nothing to do but wait and see. Thanks for the report Lew.

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Middle Santa Ynez
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2008, 6:51am

It may not be all that bad after all.  The only crossing that did not get completed was the last one.  The river is flowing pretty good and Gibralter is spilling.  Don't know how bad the slides are on the road since every thing is closed at Preitos with the high river flows .   It remains to be seen how long they stay up.  LEW

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print