Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 4:07am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nacimento Drainage (Read 958 times)
SG

Nacimento Drainage
Oct 8th, 2007, 4:55pm

Heya gang,

Thanks for the invite.  Just wanted to say hello and my plan is to attend the meeting tomorrow if work permits.

Couple of things, One is I am new to fly fishing, but Im already in love with it.  

I spent 8 hours on the Nacimento Drainage, I didn't land any trout, but my friend I went with caught a nice 13" bow.

They dp plant trout there, last plant was on Sept 9th, there still quite a few in there.    
If you dont know where im talking about, its on Camp Roberts property. You go past Camp Roberts to the 2nd exit which is East Garrison. get off the freeway take a left at the stop sign. Theres a small gate there that you show your Drivers License, Registration and insurrance.  Then u pay $15 to the fish and game guy and away you go.  Hours 6am - 6pm,  

Oh I did catch a 6" small white bass, first fish ever on a fly rod Woooooooooo.  Grin ill put the picture up on here, the bass is the thing thats about the size of my thumb.   Grin

Its a seasonal fishing spot opens April - October, season ends Oct 21.  I plan to go back for the next 2 weeks because there was not alot of people out there and the water was great.   Its a little murky but what isnt around here.  

Anyways, Im still trying to learn trout stream fishing and any advice for a newbie, still learning to cast properly without hooking my ear or trees, would be excellent.  I had a casting lesson by a guide already which did help.  The sad part is now im looking at buying a bass boat just to have something to do locally since stream fishing around here sucks so bad.  Only fishing i ever did before this was as a kid from the back of dads boat at nacimento with powerbait and a simple hook.

Im also looking to try ocean fishing so I plan to pickup a 8wt rod.  Hoping to get alot of advice there. I think im going to try fishing off of surf beach or jalama beach since I need a stamp to fish south of conception?  I heard sand crab patterns are good for perch.  Question I have is where to cast what to look for etc etc.  usually I hate the ocean, (Jaws Fan)  

I work in law enforcement so fly fishing is a nice escape from the fun stuff we get to put up with.  

Thanks in advance for any advice and look forward to meeting everyone.  I really want to come to tomorrows meeting because nymphing is still a bit of a mystery for me.

Sean
Lompoc Cool

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Nacimento Drainage
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2007, 12:44pm

Welcome to the forum and fly fishing Sean!

Haven't been up to that area by Camp Roberts in many years. It can be fun, let us know how you do next time. Those white bass are sure strong for their size. If you catch a big one you'll really have a blast.

Those beaches should be good. The stamp your talking about is necessary for south of Point Arguello and is only $4.20.

A bass boat would be great to fish local lakes. Many can be fished with a float tube (not Cachuma) as well. The Kern River is about the closest for good river and stream fishing.

Perch are not too fussy when it comes to flies. Flashy flies in red and orange work well. The Artful Angler fly shop in Carpinteria and Gary Bulla's web site will get you familar with popular patterns.

The Santa Clarita Casting Club has regular casting clinics. The Santa Barbara Flyfishers has some scheduled. Casting in the surf is a bit different than on a stream in terms of lines and techniques.

Hope you make it to the meeting, you can get a lot of information there.  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print