Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 1:59am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Piru and Santa Ynez (Read 3252 times)
Krag

Piru and Santa Ynez
Oct 6th, 2007, 5:51pm

Does anyone know if Piru creek is fishable? I heard it had been closed for awhile due to a fire last year.

I was also reading that you can fish gibraltar and jameson reservoirs above lake cachuma.  Any tips for these two spots?

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Piru and Santa Ynez
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2007, 10:20am

Piru Creek between Piru and Pyramid is fishable at times but has had problems with the dam operators using a frog as an excuse to hold back needed water. The creek is also subject to a lot of abuse from poachers and litterers. In places it looks like a garbage dump. Hiking up away from easy access used to be productive but with fire closures and low water that hasn't been available.

Don't know where your read that about Gibraltar and Jamison but they are closed to the public! Many years ago you could get a permit from the city of Santa Barbara to hike in to Gibraltar and fish but they no longer permit that. They use 911 as an excuse to keep people out. Those lakes do hold landlocked steelhead and the fishing was great but you would be tresspassing if you hike up there.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Krag

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2007, 11:27am

I read it in a fly fishing southern california book (copyright 2003).  Anyway if these things are not fishable, what about the santa ynez river? Do you have to wait for it to be stocked or are there natives/holders?

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2007, 3:33pm

Gibraltar was fishable before 9/11 2001 but Jameson was not. People do sneak in sometimes but the book editors should have done a better job of checking those things out.

The Santa Ynez above Lake Cachuma and the private land, is normally fishable all year long but trout are only stocked when water temps and flows are good. Usually this happens early in the year after sufficient rain. Trout are usually fished out soon after stocking and very few, if any, hold over in the areas stocked. This year was especially dry and warm. The area above the boy's camp was (is?) closed because of the Zaca fire.

The river also has smallmouth and some very large carp. I like stalking the carp and have tied into and landed some monsters in some of the larger pools. You can hike up river (beyond the trash) from Red Rocks (when the road is open) and find some good water.

There are also small creeks in the area mountains but the flows have been real low this year and they too are only stocked in late winter.

Come down to the meeting on Tuesday, you might meet some people that have fished up there recently.  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Surf to SY

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2007, 8:35pm

What flies do you generally use when stalking to entice the carp? They can be so picky I need every advantage I can get!

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2007, 9:51am

Indeed they can be picky SunFish. It is even more important to get a good presentation and keep contact with the fly either visually or by keeping slack out and being able to feel the slightest take. Sight casting to carp is the most productive method. A carp can take your fly and spit it out in the blink of an eye.

Many of the conventional nymp patterns will work; So will a wooly bugger or a crawfish pattern. I find that patterns with bead type eyes are often productive. A San Juan worm can also work well. Remember, keep contact with the fly!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
SG

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2007, 11:18am

We cant Fish on the Santa Ynez side of the river can we?  Thats the protected area for steelhead?

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2007, 12:16pm

The Santa Ynez below Cachuma dam to the ocean is closed to protect the steelhead.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
SG

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2007, 7:47am

ok thats what i thought.  Is it even flowing fast enough to allow for steelhead to migrate?

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2007, 8:55am

If there is enough rain and they release the amount of water they're supposed to in order for the endangered steelhead to come up, they will. A few years ago (a very wet year) there were a lot of steelhead that came up the Santa Ynez and into the streams that feed the river.  They are protected in those streams also.

There are many small creeks in the Santa Barbara area that flow into the ocean when the rains come. Steelhead also enter those creeks. They too are protected.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print