Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 3:10pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mackerel (Read 3867 times)
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

Mackerel
Jul 25th, 2007, 5:46pm

I just received word from a fishing partner that the Mackerel are running very strong in my area.  He said they were using jigs made of various colored yarn and catching 4 and 6 at a time off the Cayucos pier.  This has got me thinking, tying a yarn fly would be a no brainer, but how to land a Mackerel from the pier would be a different story.  Now, from my Fishcat 9 toon boat, hmmmm, have any of you tried this before??????????  Cool Cool Cool Cool

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Mackerel
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2007, 2:50pm

I've hammered macs from my tri-hull off of Santa Barbara in the past. When they are running strong, you can catch them on just about anything. At the time, I dug up an old salmon fly streamer which they tore up with passion. I'd guess that clousers would work fantastic on the macs.

I'm not sure that I would work the toon off of the pier when you consider that you have to bust through the surf first to get out beyond the breakers. I suppose it's possible, I've just not seen it done.  Most of the coastal fishing from the surf that I have done in the past has been off of my kayak (which along with my tri-hull, I don't have anymore) I believe there is a place near cayucos where one can rent kayaks for the day, but it's been some time since I've been up that direction.  

Macs put up quite the little fight on my 5wt. Heavy on the tippet as they are not leader shy and they are toothy. Often you'll find the cuda mixed in with the macs so a heaver rod would not be out of order.  The 42" cuda I hammered on my 8wt last year flat took me for a ride.

FYI - I took a stroll on the gaviota pier last week and it didn't appear that they were catching anything. Macs come and go with the breeze.

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2007, 7:21am

Strip fast!   LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2007, 11:08am

Lew's right, I used to fish for Makerel by the bait barge in Redondo in my kickboat. I would kick and strip fast, the makerel couldn't resist! My favorite fly was a small blue and white deceiver with some flash. Clousers also worked well.

Let me know when the "countdown" is finished; must be getting into the low 20's ... maybe teens? We can get together for some fishing on weekdays.  Wink

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2007, 12:15pm

I'm tempted to drive up north and check it out but I'm stuck driving to paso and back tonight so another long drive on Sunday is not likely. The kid and I are thinking about spending the day kicking back on the Gaviota pier on Sunday. I'll bring along the flyrod and whack the surf for a spell while I'm there.

Have you guys seen the size of the squid there catching off ventura this year. Not sure if anybody have ever nailed a squid on a flyrod, but it would sure be a challenge....

Not a pic of anybody I know, just snatched it from one of the boats in ventura. I've never seen calamari of that size in this area......

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2007, 1:04pm

Shocked So, who's got a boat? I'll tie the flies!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2007, 6:26pm

Sold my boat last year. I often regret that decision.  

I did hit the gaviota pier today. Very little wind which is surprising for that pier. Took the kid and she had fun catching a few of the little pearch schooling around the pilings. The beach was packed with people, so the flyrod never left the truck. We were more interesting in being lounge chair lazy today than hiking along the beach. Turned into a nice day with my daughter...

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2007, 6:40pm

Sounds like you had a real nice day  Smiley

I heard those guys were down past 100 fathoms so it would be a little difficult with fly reel anyway.  Sad

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2007, 10:45pm

Quote from Forum Admin on Jul 28th, 2007, 11:08am:
Lew's right, I used to fish for Makerel by the bait barge in Redondo in my kickboat. I would kick and strip fast, the makerel couldn't resist! My favorite fly was a small blue and white deceiver with some flash. Clousers also worked well.

Let me know when the "countdown" is finished; must be getting into the low 20's ... maybe teens? We can get together for some fishing on weekdays.  Wink

17 days and counting.    Grin Grin Grin   And those are CALENDAR days.    Wink

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:11am

Quote from Converted on Aug 1st, 2007, 10:45pm:
Quote from Forum Admin on Jul 28th, 2007, 11:08am:

17 days and counting.    Grin Grin Grin   And those are CALENDAR days.    Wink

17 days......now you just annoying me. I'm still stuck in the 200 range....

IP Logged
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2007, 10:54pm

Sorry fishstick, 11 days and counting (calendar days) 8 work days.   Cool Cool  In fact, this evening I've been busy cleaning out my office (shredding stuff I should have done by now) and emptying my locker.  Hmmmm,  8 more days to freedom.   Wink

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2007, 8:47am

Brat

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print