Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 7:13am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
kayak fishing anyone? (Read 1193 times)
sbsyncro

Learning more every
day!

kayak fishing anyone?
Jun 28th, 2007, 4:47pm

Planning to get a kayak this weekend (the Hobie "pedal" type) and wondering if anyone uses a 'yak for fishing around here.   Looking for a buddy as well as advice on where to go and what to use...

-Brent

sbsyncro   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: kayak fishing anyone?
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2007, 8:45pm

There used to be a couple of club members that fished from a kayak. Personally, I don't like the idea of having to spend most of the fishing day paddling to manuver. I prefer a pontoon / kickboat which allows you to row and use fins to manuver while you fish. With the type of kayak you are looking at it seems you can use pedals to power the boat and it seems to have some sort of steering capability. I still think it would be more difficult to manuver than with fins. If you get it I would sure like ro know how it works out for you.

I have launched my kickboat from Goleta Beach and fished the area towards the University and out to the point and kelp. Have caught a variety including halibut and white sea bass. You can also launch from the harbor in Santa Barbara as well as most beaches along the coast with small surf and do well fishing the kelp. Clousers in olive and white, chartruese and white are good. Stop in at the Artful Angler fly shop in Carpinteria (Santa Claus Lane), Eric can show you some of the local patterns that produce well.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print