Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 2:45pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rod Weight (Read 1518 times)
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

Rod Weight
May 19th, 2007, 1:27am

I'm attending a rod building class in July and as part of the class we'll be building a rod that will be ours to keep.  It's my understanding that the rod blanks will be Redington blanks.  My dilemma is, I have a Redington 5/6 wt Crosswater and I'm currently having a 5 wt Z-Axis built.  Since I do most of my fishing locally, the Kern and Bishop area, what wt would you recommend me to add to my growing arsenal?  A 3 or 4 wt for the GTW and surrounding area or a 7 or 8 wt for the local lakes and surf.  I fish all about equally.  Any help will be appreciated, again, by me, the wife DEFFINIANTLY feels differently about the rod building stuff.   Grin

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Re: Rod Weight
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2007, 2:39am

Converted, currently I use my G.Loomis 8-weight more than any other flyrod!   (in my area) I use it for:

a) Calaveras trout(Lopez lake),

b) Surfperch(Oceano, & Morro Strand beach),  

c) Halibut "havent caught one yet" in (Avila beach),  

d) Largemouth & smallmouth bass (Lopez, Cachuma, Margarita, San Antonio, Nacimiento, Oceano lagoon),  

e) not to mention the Striped bass that should be going off anytime now at (San Antonio lake.)

Whenever I'm fishing I always take with me an 8wt., a 6wt., and a 1-wt. that way I have all bases covered.  

I get a big thrill catching "any" fish on the Orvis 1wt. I have caught tiny baby redear perch, to largemouth bass up to 5.5 lbs. with it!

The  Sage 6 wt. was used when I landed a 12 lb. 15 oz. largemouth at Santa Margarita lake last year.

I'd opt for the 8wt. but go with the 3-4 wt. if you'll be fishing GTW type area more!

"May fish tail-walk in your presence!"......Hawaiianhillbilly

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2007, 8:34am

I generally haul around a 5 wt, 6wt and 8wt (my bass rod) to cover just about everything in this area. I use the 6wt on the surf often; however, when the wind picks up the 8wt is my rod of choice. My go to rod is generally one of two 6wt's that I have. Both have different actions and it justs a matter of what I feel like throwing at the time.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2007, 9:08am

Look at it this way: after this class you are going to have everything you need, including wrapper, rod turner, etc. to build other rods. All you will need to buy is a blank and components for subsequent builds. You will even have enough rod finish for several more rods. You will learn, in the class, about choosing blanks and components and places where you can get good deals on them.

The 8' 2 wt is not a common blank to find, if you want a rod for the goldens this would be great. There are not a lot of 2wt blanks out there. The  7' 3wt is a little easier to find but still not a lot available. Same with the 7'6" 3wt blank. The 3wt would also be good for goldens. Both these lighter rods would also be fun for panfish and smaller trout. Both these rods are a little easier to build because of the smaller number of wraps. These are all 3 piece rods.

Going with something like the 7-8 wt 4 piece would mean more wraps and this type of blank is a lot more common; you would be able to find a lot more variety if you make a rod like this your second build.

Unless you have a more immediate use for the bigger rod, which would be great for throwing larger or heavier flies and could be used in the surf as well, I would go for the lighter rod. If you get as addicted to rod building as you did to fly fishing I have a feeling you'll be building that next rod very soon.   Grin

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print