Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 2:02am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to Forum (Read 2919 times)
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

New to Forum
May 17th, 2007, 8:51pm

I just registered on this forum today and wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself.  I go by the screen name "Converted" because of my conversion from conventional fishing to fly fishing.  I've been fly fishing for about a year now and practice C&R as well as doing whatever I can to improve our environment.  I mainly fish for trout, around the Kern River area, and have just recently taken up backpacking to get into the wilderness areas.  As you all know, fly fishing isn't just a sport, it's an addiction (just ask my wife) and I'm about as addicted as you can get.  I tie my own flies and just recently signed up for a rod building class.  I'm in the learning phase right now and always welcome suggestion, advice and tips in improving my game.  I live in Paso Robles and am waiting for Joe to show me the ropes at one of the lakes here, Santa Margarita.  

So, thats a little about me.  I look forward to meeting you all and maybe throwing some flies together.  This looks like a great forum with a great group people.

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: New to Forum
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2007, 9:51pm

Good to see you in this part of cyberspace Converted!  Smiley

I sure hope to get up to Santa Margarita soon. Fishstick, another member here, has been wanting to get up that way too. Hawaiianhillbilly is another member who fishes up there a lot. He got a world fly rod record largemouth out of SM. His daughter Kaili, who was one of our Academy graduates this year, has caught some nice fish up there too. Santa margarita has always been one of my favorite lakes.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
jburk
Board Member
SBF Club Member

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2007, 9:56pm

Welcome.  It certainly is a great sport and makes fishing so much more exciting.  If you are ever in SB you should try to come to one of our fly-fishing meetings.  The Eastern slope of the Sierra is now open and it could be good early this year because of the reduced snow pack this year.   That is the only positive for a dry year.
Tell me about the Kern River.  One of my buddies goes there once a year but I have not fished it as yet.   Any locations you would recommend?
John

IP Logged
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2007, 10:06pm

John,

Check you pm.

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2007, 8:36am

Welcome. Glad to have you aboard.

Margarita has eluded me long enough. I'm making the drive up on Sunday to give it a shot. I'd love to go tomorrow; however, the wife has other plans for me to take the clan up to Hearst Castle for the day......But Sunday is looking good so far....the Lawn can wait.

IP Logged
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2007, 3:47pm

Fishstick,  At Margarita, Walk the shore lines concentrating on shallow sections of the coves where there is deep water nearby.  Especially check he shore line around the marina. With polarized glasses being a must, watch for the "new" spawners. Males are 1.5-2 lbs. and the females 4-6 lbs. I am still seeing a few fish 6-8lbs. cruising so dont be surprized if you do too! One was at the second boat dock-bridge, just to the right of the marina, also caught crappie to the left and the right of the same walk way.  If I can make it I'll be driving a silver Toyota pick-up.........Hawaiianhillbilly

IP Logged
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2007, 10:03pm

Quote from Fishstick on May 18th, 2007, 8:36am:
Welcome. Glad to have you aboard.

Margarita has eluded me long enough. I'm making the drive up on Sunday to give it a shot. I'd love to go tomorrow; however, the wife has other plans for me to take the clan up to Hearst Castle for the day......But Sunday is looking good so far....the Lawn can wait.

Fishstick,

If you're serious about coming up I'll plan on being at the marina around 8 ish.  I'll be driving a white GMC extended cab pickup and will probably have my pontoon in the back.  Saturday I'm going to tie up some white, olive and brown streamers.  I have very little experience fly fishing lakes so any advice on what flies I should have will be greatly appreciated.

Hope to see you there.  Maybe we can talk Joe into joining us.

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2007, 8:17am

It's a go for me. I'll be there early. (What time do they normally open the gates???)
I'll be driving a black Ford F150 supercrew.

I've not FLY fished Margarita, so Mark would probably be better suited for fly recommendations. Cachuma is my home lake and I've done rather well using chart/white & Black/white clousers on the bass. If they are bedding, I'm guessing zonkers and such may work. I'll let the master weigh in on that.

P.S. Mark......I was surfing the net some yesterday and found a pic or you and your record fish posted on a margarita site. WOW.....nice fish. That must irritate the bass guys big time  Grin Thanks for the advice. I'll be on my toon cruising the flats and breaks. It's a red madison river and will have an idiot trying to row sitting on top of it....

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2007, 10:18am

You guys are killing me!  cry  I wanna go!

If by some miracle I get up there, I have a dark blue Jeep Cherokee. I will have my Water Strider type kickboat:

An olive wooly bugger is a good fly to have. Zonkers and articulated leeches are good. I've also done well with white clousers. I will PM you guys my phone number but it will only work before or enroute, not at Margarita.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print