Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 13th, 2017, 8:16pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kern River Advice... (Read 1529 times)
sbsyncro

Learning more every
day!

Kern River Advice...
Apr 29th, 2007, 5:15pm

I just spent the last hour or so poking around the forums at Kern River Flyfishing.com  http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl and haven't really been able to glean any good (concise) inf0 on some good areas for fishing.    

My Daughter just finished the '07 Academy, and I want to follow up quickly with a few weekend trips up there to really get in shape for our summer vacation to the Sierras.  Smiley

Any suggesions on good spots to fish along the Kern?  I am totally unfamiliar with the area (other than doing a lot of motorcycle riding up there back in the day) so advice on places to stay (both hotel/motel and camping), places to fish, etc. would be very welcome.  

I know that information on good fishing spots can be tough to get for newcomers (I grew up on a small steelhead river, so I know how it can be...), but I figure if I get pointed in the right direction, I can have some fun figuring out the rest for myself.   Grin

Thanks in advance,

Brent

sbsyncro   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Kern River Advice...
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2007, 9:37pm

The fishing has been very good on the upper river as reported by the guide service and fly shop up there. Their forum is a good source. If your coming to the Fundraiser dinner, one of the auction items is a guided trip on the Kern.

My advice would be to stop by the Kern River Troutfitters fly shop. It's in Kernville on the left just after the bridge as you head up river. As you drive up river there are many turnouts. Most of them have access to good water. The areas with real easy access will have been stocked and fished the most. The park in Kernville and the Power Plant just past town are those kind of areas but both can produce some nice fish. The areas that require a little more walking will be less fished. There is a lot of river with a lot of access. Introduce yourself and your daughter to the shop. They will give you some current tips and tell you what flies and techniques are producing. I usually do well with stonefly patterns, both the golden and the big black. Kern emergers (a local pattern) is a must have fly. I also like stimulators when fish are rising. The river has a rich population of stoneflies, caddis and mayfly. Lately there has been good hatches of PMDs. PTs, soft hackles, prince and other regulars are also good.

If you want to stay in town I would recommend the McCambridge Lodge. The club stayed there at a recent outing and everyone liked it a lot. Most of the rooms have a kitchen. It's walking distance from stores and restaurants. Mention you are from the Santa Barbara Flyfishers if you stay there.

There are many open camping areas as well as established (pay) campgrounds on both the upper and lower river as well as the lake. Even a few private ones in town and just out of town. However, the Forest Service plans on closing the campgrounds on the upper. How do you camp; tent, motorhome? There is a link on the links page of the Kern River Fly Fishing site with camping inf0.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
sbsyncro

Learning more every
day!

Re: Kern River Advice...
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2007, 7:32pm

Thanks, Joe.

I actually talked to Guy, and we'll be hiring  guide for a 1/2 day on Saturday to get oriented.   I'm in Nashville, TN today right across from the local Bass Pro Shop and could not resist taking a couple hours this morning to head over for some shopping.  Wow.  I had a great time just poking around - gotta love a place that has a fully-stocked aquarium full of the local fish along with 2,000 sq feet of nothing but flyfishing stuff and 50,000 square feet of sportsman's heaven...  (including boats!)

We usually motel or tent-camp.  This weekend I think I will be fortunate enough to have a small studio to rent for saturday night.  I'm really looking forward to it!

-Brent

sbsyncro   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print