Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 10:59am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lopez Lake inf0.... (Read 1997 times)
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Lopez Lake inf0....
Apr 23rd, 2007, 8:34pm

Fished Lopez lake this weekend.  

Windy and cold but not a complete lost.  

A few smallmouth bass on rabbit strip streamers, a coupl'a trout too. (Cottonwood Cove)

Small redear perch, and a few small crappie on light colored nymphs near the bottom in deep water.

The "bait-guyz" are still catching really nice Calaveras Rainbow trout mostly on floated night crawlers.....soooo I'm thinking if we use an intermediate line with small streamers, or nymphs we should get a few fish tooo!

I'm sure once we get a week or so of  (((WARM)))  weather, the fishing will kick in, and life will be good......of course Santa Margarita is still HOT!

...........Hawaiianhillbilly

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Lopez Lake inf0....
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2007, 7:33pm

Thanks for the report. Just ordered a new pontoon boat which should be arriving within the next few days. I'll likely break it in on either Lopez or Margarita.

IP Logged
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2007, 1:29am

What kind of pontoon did you get?  I have a fishcat 9 and love it.  Had on Santa Margarita once but am waiting for someone like you or Joe to show me how it's done.   Wink Wink

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2007, 8:49am

Quote from Converted on May 18th, 2007, 1:29am:
What kind of pontoon did you get?  I have a fishcat 9 and love it.  Had on Santa Margarita once but am waiting for someone like you or Joe to show me how it's done.   Wink Wink

Don't expect me to show you how it's done. This is my first toon and I've only had it on the water a couple of times. I'll be surprised if I don't kill myself on this thing.  Wink

When I started researching which toon I wanted, I ended up with two final decisions based on customer reviews, quality and my intended use. The Fishcat 9  undecided & Scaddens Madison River. Both are rated well. I picked up the Madison.

IP Logged
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2007, 3:29pm

Fished Lopez lake this morning for an hour.  My brother and I caught many redear perch, and crappie.   We were fishing the cove behind the marina with light colored nymphs, and small streamers. We were not using flyrods.......we used 8' ultra-lite spinning gear with 2lb. test.  A skinny "Mojo" drop shot weight on the end of line, with two dropper loops above. Getting this set-up to the bottom, then executing a painfully slow retrieve, till the line "tightened" up!  I also bought a Fishcat-Streamer" pontoon boat. I've taken it out a few times now, but lately its been too windy!  .....Hawaiianhillbilly

IP Logged
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2007, 10:59pm

I received my toon on a Friday, put it together that Saturday and put it in the water, Morro Bay, Sunday.  Oh, did I mention a windy Sunday?  I found out why some call a toon a "Sail".  I sailed all around the bay that day.  But it was fun and I caught a batray on a halibut setup that must have weighed between 40 - 50 pounds.  It towed me around for an hour and 10 minutes before I got to the Coast Guard pier and reeled it in.  All the time it was towing me I kept thinking SHARK!!!!!

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print