Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 12:03am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fished Santa Ynez today (Read 2094 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Fished Santa Ynez today
Apr 2nd, 2007, 9:42pm

Smiley Decided to take a ride up to the river this afternoon. Met up with Jake, one of the alumni from our first Fly Fishing Academy, and had a nice afternoon on the river catching nice size stockers up to 12". Even saw Warren up there; he was just leaving as I arrived. It was a bit windy but a very pleasant day. I even had a chance to sight cast to a large carp but he wasn't interested. The trout, however, were interested in a variety of offerings. I changed flies often and caught a fish with almost every new fly. It's hard to say what they liked the best but they really liked a #12 Stimulator. Some of the other flies were woolly buggers (both brown and olive), black rubber leg nymph, poopah, pheasant tail and a few unnamed experimental flies.  

The DFG won't be planting the Santa Ynez this week but, at least for now, there are still some fish in the river.  

Oh, by the way Fishstick, they will be planting your "Mystery Creek" (Lion Canyon Creek) this week.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Fished Santa Ynez today
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007, 2:15pm

Thanks for the inf0. I was up on Sunday and did about the same. Fished next to a youngster wearing a boonie hat before I packed up and headed home. Gave him a couple from my box that had shown some success the previous week. (Triple T's I call them) White/chart maribou tails epoxy heads. Ugly as sin, but very effective once you get them chasing it. As you said, switching up was the key. After a couple of fish, they got wise quickly and you had to throw something new at them.

IP Logged
smog7

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2007, 7:48pm

god I need to get out there before spring break is over!!! How is Lion Canyon Creek by the way? I have read about it but I have never been there. Any other spinfisherman here?

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2007, 1:50pm

Quote from smog7 on Apr 4th, 2007, 7:48pm:
god I need to get out there before spring break is over!!! How is Lion Canyon Creek by the way? I have read about it but I have never been there. Any other spinfisherman here?

I've not been there as of yet. Darn flu got me down this week, so I'll likely spend the weekend with a shotglass of Niquil and a good book.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2007, 2:05pm

How is Lion Canyon Creek by the way?

It's a very small creek and probably not a lot of water flowing this year.

Any other spinfisherman here?

Since this is a fly fishing site, probably not. You'll have better luck finding spinfisherman at  http://www.calfishing.com/ forums.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print