Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 3:39am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Let the local season begin..... (Read 1747 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Let the local season begin.....
Mar 3rd, 2007, 3:35pm

Spent the morning on the SY. Flows are still a bit low for my liking; however, the fishing was a nice break from a long winter and the shack nasties. They obviously recently stocked at sage hill, skipped the first crossing, hit the second and all the way up to redrock. Fish were cruising in schools and the early fishing was somewhat like chasing bonefish on the flats. A multitude of trout C&R all rising to the dry (#18 EHC) By mid morning and into the afternoon, the sub-surface streamers were the ticket. I was happy to see six flyfishers working the water who were all doing as well. Stopped at sage hill on the way out and saw some gear guys which pretty much cleaned it out. John, if you read this board...it was a pleasure meeting you. (Saturday, March 3) Regards....Fishstick

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Let the local season begin.....
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2007, 12:58pm

Follow-up.  

I returned on Sunday to find less crowds and less "active" fish. They were still around, although the numbers had dwindled considerably by the masacre the previous day. They were not nearly as cooperative today and a hairs ear nymph was the only fly that produced any real action for me. The wind picked up by 10:00 and I had to break out the 6wt just to punch through on occassions. Then again, my casting skills leave a lot to be desired. Weather pending, I'll probably head back up on Tuesday (rare mid-week day off).

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2007, 8:44am

Thanks for the reports Fishstick.

It is a shame that the stocking get "harvested" so fast.

If I'm back in the area I may take a ride up on Tuesday myself, maybe see you there.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2007, 2:50pm

I had a rare day off yesterday (Tuesday) and headed back up for a spell. Saw a bunch of fish cruising and rising in one pool that had escaped the weekend. I threw just about everything I had from various drys, nymphs, midges and streamers.......only two takers. For stockers, they either get real selective in short order, or I just get worse with each passing day. Most likely the latter........

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print