Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 10th, 2017, 11:42pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fly Fishing Academy, 2007 (Read 4162 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Fly Fishing Academy, 2007
Jan 29th, 2007, 9:01pm

This years Fly Fishing Academy application is now available:

http://www.sbflyfishers.com/fishacademy.htm

If you are, or know of a boy or girl age 10 to 15 please check out the Academy link. This is a great opportunity to get instruction in fly casting, fly tying and other aspects of fly fishing. Everything is provided for the students that are accepted to the Academy and they will receive their own fly rod and reel at graduation. There is no cost to the srudents.

The application was just posted this afternoon and we already have our first applicant!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Re: Fly Fishing Academy, 2007
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2007, 5:32pm

Aloha!  

My 10-year old daughter "Kaili" succesfully completed the 2007 Fly Fishing Academy last weekend!

She had a truly positive experience, learning from all the experts involved in the training. I just talked to her on the phone and she wants me to pass along a personal warm  "thank-you" to all the instructors.

For me (her dad) it was exhilarating to see my baby learning to fly-cast, tie flies, tie knots, learn to read the water, etc. with seasoned professionals that have a passion for fly fishing!

The flies she tied were her first ever, and she loves to show them off to family and friends.

Thank You, SBFlyfishers for putting on an outstanding "Fly Fishing Academy!"

.............Hawaiianhillbilly

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2007, 7:32am

Hey we were happy to have you guys!   What a joy Kali is.  Thanks for your help as well. Take care from "Mr. Bugs"  LEW Riffle

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2007, 11:42am

Thank you Mark for being such a supportive parent! It's great to hear that Kaili had a good time. looking forward to meeting you both at the outing on the 28th.  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 7:52pm

Aloha SBFlyfishers,

Kaili is really excited about attending the Fly fishing field trip this Saturday.

Will we be meeting someplace, and caravaning in (or is the place really easy to find?)

Hopefully I can talk Kaili's Mom, or Uncle into video taping the event. (While I assist Kaili.)

Also I noticed Kaili's fly reel had too much backing, (wouldnt reel smoothly) please have the other graduates check thier reels too!   They may need to remove a few yards of backing also!

Thanks again for everything...............Mark(Hawaiianhillbilly)

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 9:10pm

We will be meeting at 8:30, Terry or I will send you details of where. It will be easy to find. See you on Saturday.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
sbsyncro

Learning more every
day!

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2007, 4:58pm

My daughter, Kendall, was the other young lady that was lucky enough to be selected for the Academy, and I'll second Mark's comments about how gratifying it is to see her so enthusiastic about the sport.  As soon as I can figure out some of the good spots to go up on the Kern River (I've never fished there) I'll be taking her up on the weekends for sure.  I just started flyfishng again (started at about her age), I have a feeling she'll be teaching ME a lot of the things she learned at the Academy!    Wink

sbsyncro   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2007, 7:06pm

It was great to meet everyone at the outing  Smiley

sbsyncro, let me know when you plan on hitting the Kern, I fish there often.

Looking forward to seeing some of you again at the fundraiser dinner on May 9th.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
sbsyncro

Learning more every
day!

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2007, 7:47pm

thanks Joe.  I'm actually hoping to head up this Saturday early morning, hit the water around 10 (?) and then come back home on Sunday.  (its about a 4 hour drive from SB?)

-Brent

sbsyncro   IP Logged
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2007, 9:19pm

After the field trip was over(noon-ish) many of us stayed and wet a line or two..........wow was that fun!

I had much luck on the Orvis One-weight, using a fast sink leader, on a  floating line.  

At first I started picking up fish on an "Olive shrimp/scud" pattern, then later on a "White-nymph" pattern.

By the way..........anyone know when the "2007 Academy" pictures will be posted on this website?

"May fish tail-walk in your presence!"   Cool    ..........Hawaiianhillbilly

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2007, 11:02pm

I have a few, I'm waiting to pick up some more from Pat. I will then go through them as soon as I have time and prepare them for a photo album. I'll post here when it's ready. In the meantime, here's some from Saturday:

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #11 - May 28th, 2007, 8:21pm

The photo album for Fly Fishing Academy 2007 is up:

http://www.sbflyfishers.com/cgi-bin/emAlbum.cgi

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1