Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 15th, 2017, 8:02am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Ynez fishing season (Read 4680 times)
BW

Santa Ynez fishing season
Jan 5th, 2007, 6:52pm

When has the fishing gotten decent (ie when do they start stocking the Santa Ynez) in years past? I have only fished there for one season and started in April.

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Santa Ynez fishing season
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2007, 10:06pm

Mid March, first of April depending upon water flow and temp....I usually start tracking the DFG schedule around February, which is early, but these winter shack nasties start taking a toll about that time. One can dream. I'm heading up on Sunday for no other reason that to just shake the dust off the ole' fly rod and check on the river conditions.....

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2007, 2:16pm

Well....don't waste your time on the Santa Ynez just yet. Spent the morning up there and the water level is still low. I knew there wasn't gonna be any trout, but I didn't even see the usual carp in the holes. Nada. Still a nice morning, a bit windy, but a nice morning none-the-less.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2007, 4:44pm

Fishstick, should still be able to find some carp in the big deep holes. Have you been up to Santa Margarita lately?

Did you read Lew's post about the surf. Talked to him last night and he said it's been really good for big perch. That's another way to treat the winter shack nasties.  Wink

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2007, 12:47pm

I checked the deep holes at both the first and second and one hideaway spot. Didn't find any carp in the usual places. I've no idea where they are hiding right now. I'll take a look at Lew's post on the surf thanks. I made a run to Margarita last month, but like an idiot, after I inflated my tube, I realized that I had left my reel case in the garage in SY with all of my reels contained within. I'll never do that again.  I've not been up to Margarita since.

I came down from Idaho last week and got stuck in Bishop for two days waiting for a timing belt replacement. Looking over the area, I'm planning to spend a week or so up there this spring. Looks like some prime water.  

I'm also looking at spending a few days on the Kern this spring (thanks to all your reports). I know you spend time on the Kern and was wondering if there is a good camping area near the river for RV's. 32' rig. I'm planning on towing my car just to get around.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2007, 6:05pm

For the Kern, if you want hookups try Rivernook (760) 376-2705 or Camp James (760) 376-6119. They are right next to each other, on the river and close to the town of Kernville (walking distance.)  Also right in town is River View 760-376-2345 (by the bridge.)

Let me know when you are going up.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2007, 7:09am

Thanks. I'm considering last week in March, first of April. In terms of equipment & patterns, any recommendations? Time at the fly tying desk is no problem on these cold days.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2007, 2:12pm

That should be fine as long as the weather hasn't warmed up too much to bring the flows up. I will be there in mid March as well as a few times between now and March. May possibly be up there when you are there. Will let you know. You can always ask the fly shop if I'm up there.

A five wt is a good choice and patterns: PT, soft hackles, stone fly in both large black (8-6) and golden (12-10.) Should also have a good supply of Kern Emergers in size 10 & 12 as well. A few in size 16 wouldn't hurt.

The KE is:

tail: black hackle
body: peacock herl
rib: copper wire
thorax: coarse olive dubbing
wing case: thin foam in red, yellow or pink.

bead head and regular versions in each color

They sell them at the fly shop.

Hope to see you up there.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2007, 7:54am

Thanks. I'll stock up on the stones and pt's. I'll pick up a supply of emergers at the fly shop. Always like to support them when I can.

Much appreciated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print