Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 5:11pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new to fishing area (Read 2582 times)
kono

new to fishing area
Oct 31st, 2006, 3:49pm

Hi everyone,  

I am originally from northern california, and am new to fishing the central coast.  I am a student at Cal Poly and live in SLO.  My fly fishing experience has been mostly in streams fishing for rainbow trout.  I have been fishing for a while, but just recently started fly fishing about a year ago.  

I'm basically looking for as much advice i can get about fishing this area. Because there doesnt seem to be any nearby streams or rivers, I would like to learn about fly fishing the local lakes.  I have a 5 weight setup, so i'd like to go for mid-size bass or large trout.

Any advice on which lakes to fish and what kind of tackle to use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  
Karl

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: new to fishing area
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2006, 8:25pm

Hi Karl,

You've got a very nice lake just north of you, Santa Margarita Lake. It has some very good largemouth bass fishing and in the winter the trout fishing is also good. It is also a good lake for big crappie and there is always an abundance of blugill. My favorite way to fish the lake is with a kickboat. An olive wooly bugger is a good producer for everything. I also use white clousers for the bass and poppers when they are hitting the surface stuff.

Check out this report from summer:

http://www.sbflyfishers.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1 149631674

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
kono

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2006, 1:29pm

Thanks Joe,  

I was reading on the website that since Santa Margarita is a reservior, no one is allowed to swim in it.  Does this mean that float tubing is also prohibited?  I'm hoping to get up there and check it out this weekend.

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 4:27am

If you have not already drop in on Britt at Hole in the Wall Flyshop on Higeria(did I spell that right) in downtown SLO. He has the information on fishing up your way.   LEW Riffle

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 4:51pm

kono, float tubing is permited; you must wear waders when float tubing. The no swimming rule is great, it means no water skier or jet skiers! It's a great place for float tubing.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2006, 3:50pm

Aloha brah, I live in SLO (actually Oceano)also and have fished this area since the mid 70's.

At Lopez Lake we're catching trout, bluegills, and crappie at this time.......my brother just landed a 16" crappie that went 2.25 lbs.(but not on a fly)

Santa Margarita is another favorite of mine. Trout should be the main menu right now but I havent fished it in a coupl'a months.

San Antonio lake is big on my list right now, I recently caught 3-Striped bass on my 8-wt set-up. Pretty exciting fishing those guyz, especially when they push the bait up and create a "Blitz!" (looks like someone threw a buncha cherry bombs in the water)

Contact me if you need more inf0, my brother and I fish pretty much every weekend.

.............Hawaiianhillbilly

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2006, 7:07pm

Welcome to the area. Lopez offers good fishing; however, you have to watch the wind. Santa Margarita float tubing is excellent water as well. You may want to consider trying the fly on the surf. 5wt may be a bit light for that, but I've used my 6wt many times for the pearch. Good rivers are few in this area which you have already found out. The Santa Ynez fishes well in the spring and early summer (planters). The Kern is excellent but a bit of a drive. I've had the best luck on bass on Cachuma throwing clousers (chart/white) on my 6wt from a boat. Typically Cachuma will kick out larger bass but Santa Margarita wins out on shear numbers. We are somewhat in the winter slump right now, but keep checkin this board for updates on activity and feel free to shoot me a line or PM if I can help you with anything.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print