Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 18th, 2017, 10:39am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will be in Santa Barbara, want to get a fly wet. (Read 3383 times)
Aggie_Fly_Fisher

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Will be in Santa Barbara, want to get a fly wet.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 5:06pm

I'll be in Santa Barbara  the last weekend of October...we'll be staying at the Bacara Resort.  Where would be the nearest place to wade for local fish?

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Will be in Santa Barbara, want to get a fly we
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2006, 8:53am

What are you interested in, fresh or salt?

Right in front of the resort if you want to fish the surf.

The local fresh water (Santa Ynez River) is not too good this time of year; low water and no stocking. You can find some smallmouth, panfish and carp in the Santa Ynez. The nearest place for good trout fishing would be the Kern at about 3 hrs drive.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Aggie_Fly_Fisher

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2006, 3:48pm

I was wanting to give my 6pc 7'9" 4wt. some use, since you rarely have a chance a chance to hike the mountains streams in Texas! I understand there will not be any stocker trout at this time, but are there still some quiet waters that hold blue gill or smallies that are a good hour hike from within the Los Padres NF or Lake Cachuma?

I could also bring my 8wt. I just got back from a week on Coronado Island chasing corbina!

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2006, 4:34pm

You can take hwy 154 from Santa Barbara toward Lake Cachuma. Before you get to the lake you will come across Paradise Road. Turn right. The road will access the river at several crossings. At the end of the road (Red Rocks), you can hike up river. There are some deep holes that hold smallies and bluegill. Keep an eye open for rattle snakes.

Have fun  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Aggie_Fly_Fisher

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2006, 5:26pm

I will be "in country" the last weekend of October.  Will the daytime temps & water temps call for waders & long sleeve, or shorts?  Will it be warm  senough for rattlers?

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2006, 2:44pm

It can still be warm in the end of October. Wet wading will probably be an option, depends on you. Waders also protect from things like poison oak and nettle. As far as rattlers, they can be seen most any time of the year.

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2006, 9:52am by Forum Admin »  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
BW

Santa Ynez 10/1
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:24am

Drove up to the Santa Ynez yesterday morning to see how things were. Water levels are still low, and the algae is still blooming. I saw carp in the pool below the first crossing as well as just above the first crossing, but none took my fly. The water was warm, and saw no trout activity.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2006, 9:51am

Thanks for the report BW.

Been thinking about going up there and looking for some carp myself.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2006, 7:07pm

Was up last week. Got a bit bored watching the grass grow and made the run up to see if anything was active. The second crossing pool kicked out a couple of smallmouth for me. Water level is low and slow, but still plenty in the pool. I actually took up my float tube just to drive around for a bit. Water was cool enough that I was glad I had my waders on. Found some bluegill at the first crossing on the right side riffles. I was throwing a olive WB in the shade against the bank and hit five bluegill in a 50 yard stretch. All small, but it was a good way to kill some time. Didn't see any snakes, but then again I don't really want to. I tried the pool below the ranger station, upstream in the riffles and picked up a couple of bluegill as well.......If you decide to go, shoot a post a day or two prior and I may just meet you on the water......

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print