Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 3:14pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
North to Alaska (Read 2988 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

North to Alaska
Aug 16th, 2006, 5:00am

I havn't posted in awhile. Just returned from a stint in Idaho. Two weeks near Henry's Fork and I never got a chance to fish it. The wife and I were kicking around the idea of putting our Idaho Property up for sale. We had thought about retiring there; however, the wife surprised me when she said that she wanted to retire and go back to Ketchikan Alaska (spent some time there in the 80's).......what to do.....Alaska vs Idaho....opinions?

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: North to Alaska
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2006, 11:29am

Ah, if only I had such problem decisions!

Ketchikan, land of totem poles and giant salmon; some great fishing there! Really like that part of the world; lived in Vacouver, BC for a short time.

I think the weather would be better in Ketchikan. The Pacific keeps it warmer; it can get real cold in Idaho.

Idaho is not as isolated as far as travel by car to the lower 48 but who can afford the gas anyway.

I would buy a lot of rain gear and head for Ketchikan.  Wink

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2006, 4:19am

Wise unmarried man who works for other men's women say..."Happy wife, Happy life" . It's just figuring out what makes her happy.  I'll stick to fishing.   LEW  

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2006, 1:16pm

Let's see.....Ketchikan = happy wife
Fishing........Ketchikan = Salmon capital of the planet.
Hunting.......Ketchikan = A short ferry ride to Prince of Whales

So let it be written, so let it be done.....Ketchikan it is.

Idaho acreage for sale to anybody interested!!

IP Logged
jburk
Board Member
SBF Club Member

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2007, 3:06pm

Have you headed for Alaska yet?  I'd think Idaho is alittle more temperate.  What location in Akaska? Winters are the determining factor in staying the year up north.
John

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:39am

Would have been three weeks from today; however, a new retirement system kicking in has delayed my departure until February 2008. So, twelve months and counting down.  

Ketchikan is our destination. Ketchikan was my home for a few years back in the 80's while serving in the Coast Guard. The Southeast Alaska winters are mild in comparison to what I've seen in Idaho this year. I'm very familiar with the wet weather of Southeast and still can't wait to get back.

IP Logged
Converted

I fish therefore I
lie.........

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2007, 11:37pm

Did you sell your property in Idaho yet?  I may want to talk to you more about that....................  I'm taking "Terminal" vacation begining in August this year, never coming back to work.  I have about 6 months of vacation on the books and when that's all used up my retirement will kick in.  Retirement date is 2/12/08.  What will I do with all that time, hmmmm, fish, cigars, adult beverages, fish, decisions, decisions....   Wink Wink

Converted

Mend, mend, mend
Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2007, 8:40am

Sold it last month......with a nice little profit (At least it was before Uncle Sam took his share).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print