Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 10th, 2017, 11:41pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Kern Report (Read 3422 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Another Kern Report
Jul 19th, 2006, 8:44pm

While not as big as yesterdays big fish this one is still a good example of the nice fish the Kern is producing every day.

The flows are getting better every day and the river is in great shape. If your not fishing the Kern your missing some great fishing.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Another Kern Report
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2006, 9:25am

Ur killing me with these pics......I'm convinced....As somebody new to the Kern river, what general area would you recommend for a starting point for an introduction to learn the water. Easy Wading access or is it more of a float river?

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2006, 10:09am

I knew I'd get ya  Grin

It's a wading river with a variety of structure; a lot of pocket water. Good felt bottom shoes are a must and studs are not a bad idea. A wading staff is also good to have.

You can float certain sections with a whitewater rated kickboat and that's a great way to fish spots that can't be reached on foot. That will take learning the river and knowing what is doable with what flows.

The flows are down to about 1200 today which means a lot of wadable water. The lower they get from here the more wadable water. They are coming down every day. They will 'til they reach about 600.

There are many places to pull over on the road that follows the upper.  The best way for learning the river is to hire a guide but just stopping in the fly shop will get you good advice on the current conditions, what flies are producing and what sections to try. Be sure to pick up some Kern Emerger flies as they are a reliable producer on this river, as well as others.

The river has a healthy stonefly population both the large black and golden. There have been good caddis and PMD hatches in the past few weeks.

So, when are you going?

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2006, 12:38pm

Leaving for Idaho next week and won't be back till mid-August. I'll probably plan a trip around 1st of September for a few days.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2006, 2:31pm

Sept. 1st is labor Weekend, will probably be very crowded up there. best to go the weekend after.

Maybe see you up there.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Jeff_S

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2006, 10:53am

Joe:

I thought I heard mention in the kern message board that you have a local fly shop.  Was I incorrect?  If not, where is the shop located and is it strictly a fly fishing only shop?

Great reports on Guy's forum and here as well.  I didn't know there were so many large fish to be had this time of year.  Probably the section below town deserves the attention.  Little hot for me though, SB has been hot enough.  I am heading to Mammoth area this weekend to enjoy some great fishing, I'll probably wait until fall to hit the Kern.

Jeff

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2006, 2:41pm

Jeff, yes "The Artful Angler" is a true fly shop and is on Santa Claus Lane right next to the Garden Market.

The Kern can produce big fish all year long. It is a very food rich river, both the upper and lower.

The upper has a large stonefly population and many trout travel up from the lake as well as a stocking program that is now planting large Eagle Lake Trout along with the regular hatchery stock in both the lake and the river.

The lower has a lot of shad that get trough the flume and some of the trout in the lower look like giant footballs.

Different areas of both parts of the river produce better at different times of the year and, of course, the flows determine what parts you can access. There's always good fishing at the Kern. The high country is just a ride up the mountain from the upper Kern and also is a great fishery; it holds a lot of Goldens along with browns and rainbow. It's also 30 degrees cooler up there if the heat gets to you down below.  Wink

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
lternullo
Board Member

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2006, 8:48pm

Jees Joe,  those are some great fish you've been tuggin' on.  Maybe they were tuggin' on you!  Haven't been to the Kern for many years.  That's going to change!

Thanks for sharing.

Lou

IP Logged
Jeff_S

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2006, 10:18am

Thanks Joe.  I guess I haven't been down there in a while.  Do you sell saltwater flies for the local area?

I'm very familiar with the upper kern but not he lower.  I'll have to get up to the higher country more though.

Thanks, maybe I'll see you at the shop sometime.

Jeff

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2006, 10:07am

So Lou, when are you going?

Jeff, the new shop has local saltwater flies.

The upper Kern where I was fishing last week is not in the high country. I was at about 2600' near Kernville.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print