Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 2:45pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lake Santa Margarita report........ (Read 1859 times)
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Lake Santa Margarita report........
Jun 6th, 2006, 1:07pm

Santa Margarita lake is flyrod heaven!  The weather is warm, the view is awesome!  On the fly, the bite is "HOT" for redear perch, bluegills, golden shiners, crappie up to 16", we even caught  two large warmouth perch, small bass everywhere, and some "quality" bass still cruising the shallows, trout are still being caught we are seeing them early, and then again late in the day.  Last month I landed a largemouth that weighed in at 12.96 lbs.(not bad for a post-spawn northern strain bass) the fish hit a Blane Chockletts "Gummy-minnow fly" last Sunday still seeing big bass, just not as many as before...............Mark

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2006, 3:13pm by Hawaiianhillbilly »  
  IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Lake Santa Margarita report........
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2006, 9:25am

Gotta agree, Hawaiianhillbilly  Smiley

Santa Margarita is one of my favorite lakes. I've had some great days there fishing for largemouth but never got one that big  Shocked, congradulations! The crappie and bluegill fishing is also great at times and the trout in winter. Have caught many trout there over 3 lbs.

I like fishing from my kickboat and it's a great lake for that; no water skiers or jet skies!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2006, 8:12pm

Sunday, 11Jun06 Santa Margarita lake was cold & windy.  The bass had lock-jaw even though we saw a handful of them cruising the shore-line up to 6 lbs. or so.  The Bluegills, and the Redear sunfish were found in shallow mossy bays and were very co-operative!  I threw Olive beadhead, weighted Cream colored, and Pheasant tail nymphs at them. Sometimes taking a long steady strips, and sometimes short quick strips.  Young bass fingerlings spiced up the day loving the short quick strips exclusively(they are soooo cute at that age) "dat's all for now!" .......Hawaiianhillbilly

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2006, 12:16pm

Have you been fishing around the marina area or west of the launch ramp? I went up Sunday, windy and cold as you said.....forgot my reel case.......so I couldn't say how the fishing was. Thinking about heading up there on Saturday morning this week with my reels for a change.

IP Logged
Hawaiianhillbilly

"If it
swims......cast a
fly at it!"

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2006, 3:43pm

We did fish west of the launch ramp, did you see us? Please say hello if you guyz run into us......I drive a Silver double cab Tacoma.......you know its us with all the flyrods sticking out the back of the pickup!  You know I never thought about that........it would be more challenging..........(without the reel).......hmmmmmmm.  Sorry couldnt resist.....you can me back at the lake Saturday morning........Hawaiianhillbilly

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print