Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 9:59am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Ynez 05/25 (Read 1401 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Santa Ynez 05/25
May 26th, 2006, 6:50am

Had one of those mornings when nothing went right. Started off with a dead battery in the bronco and was delayed while fixing that problem. Made the river about 8:00 and my first cast nailed a tree behind me and snapped off the fly. According to sources, the plant took place on Wednesday at all of the crossings. I brushed off the gremlin and brought six to hand and released before calling it quits for the morning. For a new stock the fish were fairly selective. Nothing on the dry, all six were taken on nymphs.

IP Logged
BW

Re: Santa Ynez 05/25
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2006, 11:41am

I was up on SY on 5/27 and had the first crossing all to myself (to my surprise) until about 10 am. I took two on a mosquito pattern and a elk-hair caddis. Later at around 9:30 or 10 there was a caddis hatch, and the trout were slurping off of the surface like crazy. I took three on a small emerger pattern fished immediatly sub-surface. Fantastic. The fish got spooked, though, when the memorial day kids came and started throwing rocks in the river. All in all a great morining.

IP Logged
Jeff_S

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Santa Ynez 05/25
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2006, 7:38am

I also hit the river on the 26th, 8:30 to noon.  Had a bit more luck than typical, C and R'd 5 total, seemed like the same fish each time although I was in different areas.  Fished below the first crossing, had trouble getting them on dries.  In a couple riffle sections I have one fish go for it 5-6 times and couldn't hook up, the fish seemed a bit lethargic on its takes.  Went down further, fished  a couple deep pools with 3 caught, came back and got the same fish on a small muddler minnow.  The muddler has been the go to fly, all fish caught on it that day.

Jeff

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print