Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 1:05am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Los Caneros (Read 2854 times)
Fish_Whisperer

Have Fun Fishing

Los Caneros
May 23rd, 2006, 8:05am

Went to los Caneros yesterday on monday the 22nd, used black wolly buggers with crystal flash the whole time and caught 6 sun perch in about 2 hours. Talked with other people at the lake and appearantly there are sun perch, bluegill, largemouth bass, and catfish in the lake. People tell me the biggest fish caught out of Los Caneros was a 9 pound bass. What flies will catch Largemouth Bass, im new at this and just graduated from the Academy.

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2006, 12:48pm by Fish_Whisperer »  

The Fish Whisperer
Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Los Caneros
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2006, 4:28am

Keep using that Black Wooly Bugger!  Give us a little time and maybe I can find out what has been a good fly for Los Carneros. Try fishing in the morning before the water heats up because thats when the bass feed most in the shallows.  Remember to look around and see what kind of things are swimming around that a bass might eat like miinnows.  And don't bend your wrist!
                                                          LEW

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2006, 6:58am

I've had the best luck on sunfish in the spring and summer when the fish are picking bugs off of the surface using attractor flies (Royal Wulff, Coachman, Humpy etc.) Gnat's and mosquitos work as well. Sunfish are not to particular. Getting their attention is the key.  The WB is always a good failsafe. Smaller sizes for sunfish and go big for bass. For larger fish, try stepping up sizes on your WB. Bass like a big meal. I've dressed some very large WB's in olive, brown and black using maribou tails that the bass just love. You should try the V-worm (easy fly to tie) and clouser minnows for bass as well.

IP Logged
Fish_Whisperer

Have Fun Fishing

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2006, 10:00am

What good websites or books are there to order from or to learn how to tie flys from??

The Fish Whisperer
Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2006, 10:22am

I've only recently started tying my own. The wife gave me a kit for Christmas last year which included a book, video and a number of supplies. I've also pulled several recipies for various patterns off of the net and created a few of my own. There is much out there to learn from. I will say that catching fish on your own fly, enhances the satisifaction and the art.

IP Logged
Jeff_S

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2006, 10:23am

Does anyone know if float tubes are allowed on Los Caneros?  I never even thought of it as a fishing option.

Jeff

Email   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2006, 10:28am

P.S. For online sources for fly tying, check out this site:

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

IP Logged
Fish_Whisperer

Have Fun Fishing

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2006, 4:15pm

I see people out there all the time in Kayaks, inflatables, and float tubes. I don't think it is illeagal at all.

The Fish Whisperer
Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2006, 1:33pm

Fish_Whisperer, if your an Academy graduate just contact me. As I posted in the general Fly Fishing section, I have made arrangements to purchase kits and instruction books along with some extra donated materials. E-mail me and I will send you the details.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print