Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 2:44pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Were to fish in Santa Barbara area? (Read 3706 times)
salmon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Were to fish in Santa Barbara area?
Apr 15th, 2006, 11:23pm

??? ??? ???

Hey folks,

I have a "problem". Im from Germany and will stay form May to June in the Santa Barbara area for vacation.
Now Im looking for rivers in that area to fish in.  Because Im travelling with my family I have only the chance for 2 - 3 fishing trips during my vacation. And the rivers should not be to far away.
Can anybody give me some recomondtions, were to fish in the closer Santa Barbara area?
What rods and line typs are recommended?  
What type of fish are in the rivers?
Were I will get the fishing licens?

Looking forward for your answer!!

Kind regards from Germany

Salmon  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Were to fish in Santa Barbara area?
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2006, 8:34am

Welcome Salmon Smiley

In May there should be still be stocked trout fishing in the Santa Ynez river which is very close. The river also provides fishing for smallmouth bass, blugill and carp. This year the water flow will be good but I'm not sure if the trout stocking will continue into June.

There are some smaller creeks which can provide stocked trout fishing also.

If you want better fishing and are able to drive about 3 and 1/2 hours the Kern River provides good fishing for trout and bass. There is a fly shop and guide service at the Kern. The high country of this area is where the Golden Trout live but since there is a lot of snow in the high country June may be too early to fish them.

The local surf provides some saltwater fishing. It's not a river but can be fun fishing.

Fishing licenses are available at several area stores: Big 5, Hook Line and Sinker, K-Mart and Sportmart are some that come to mind.

A five weight rod with floating line for the rivers would be a good all around choice.

For saltwater a heavier rod would be better and a sink tip or shooting head. A five weight could be fished but a 6 to 8wt would be able to cast heavier flies and handle bigger fish better.

I would say come to the May meeting to meet people and learn more but in may we have a Fundraiser dinner instead of a meeting. You are more than welcome to attend. You will not only have the opportunity to meet people and learn about the local fishing but you would could win some great prizes in raffles and auctions. The tickets are $30.00 and you can learn more HERE.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006, 6:20pm by Forum Admin »  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
salmon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2006, 10:44am

Hallo from Germany,

thank you very much for answering my questions. If you could give me the exat date and meeting adress for your meeting in may I will very hard try to join you (depends on the family, you know!?).
If anybody of your club will need sometimes informations about flyfishing in Europe (Germany or Austria for trouts or grayling , Norway, Sweden or Denmark for salmon, trout or graylings) just let me know. I will support you with the needed informations.

Kind regards from Germany and all times "tight lines"

Salmon Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2006, 1:41pm

Your very welcome Salmon!

The information on the fundraiser that replaces the May meeting can be seen by clicking on the link in the first post or HERE, or the link on the home page.

Have a nice visit and hope to see you in May.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006, 6:20pm by Forum Admin »  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print