Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 16th, 2017, 12:55am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battle on the Santa Ynez 04/14 (Read 1358 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Battle on the Santa Ynez 04/14
Apr 14th, 2006, 9:02am

Call me Ismael.....I've won the battle with the Moby thingy on the Santa Ynez. The radio alarm sounded at 5:30 this morning. Still in half dream state, I heard the weather forcasting rain any minute. Time was limited and the fish were calling my name. Within 15 minutes, I was eastbound, sipping hot tea, with my Hobbs Creek 6wt in the back of the old Bronco. I made the first crossing at daybreak and found a closed gate. The river flow had increased to a point where vehicle fording was risky. I walked the river edge looking for signs of the scheduled recent trout plant. I found none. Somewhat discourage, I headed back to 154. I made a quick stop at the ranger station crossing and found that gate closed as well. A flash of fish tail in the pool caught my eye. I walked back to ole' blue and stepped into my waders. I tied on a #14 Quigly deer hair dry and made a few drifts over the pool. No action. I switched to a SHWAP fished wet and sent the fly on its way. Nothing. The grass is always greener on the other side, so I opted to ford the river for the wider pool on the opposite side of the crossing. Several more cast with the wet fly went unanswered. I could see fish deep, but could not tell what they were. I switched to a rust colored WB with a maribou tail and rolled a cast into the swift water. A light rain started to fall. As the fly drifted into the calm of the pool, I felt the take and set the hook. The fish bolted and headed downstream like a rocket. The line at my feet instantly dissappeared and took me strait into the reel. The drag was screaming as the sky turned black and the light rain transformed into a drenching squall in the same instant. The battle raged on for twenty two minutes with the unknown beast from the abyss. As the fish reached color, I found that it was a Carp of about 7 to 8 lbs. One more strong run and the fish tired. I brough her alongside and tailed her, leaving her head in the current. I plucked the fly and cradled the fish for close to five minutes before she flicked her tail and headed back into the pool. Already soaked to the bone with the sky growing darker, I thanked the river, shot a salute to mother nature and the fish gods and headed for home. Memorable morning and I'll never think of the Carp as I did before this trip. I'll catch this bird for you....but it ain't gonna be easy.....smart fish.....not like chasing bluegill and tommycod...this fish will swallow you whole......

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Battle on the Santa Ynez 04/14
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2006, 9:50am

Well Fishstick, once again you have made me envious! Carp sure are fun to catch on a fly rod and catching one is a real challange. Congradulations!

Thanks for the report and the inf0 about the crossing. Next time, Why not take a camera along and share some pictures with your great reports.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Re: Battle on the Santa Ynez 04/14
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2006, 10:28am

Camera is bad mojo for me. For years, everytime I take a camera fishing, I end up skunked. Same reason that I never carry a net.......superstitious....yea....even my rod is sprinkled with Fish God fairy dust. I spent several years in the 80's in Ketchikan Alaska. Before every salmon trip we used to slam our face into the cold water and yell for the fish. Miserable experience in the cold water, but you stick with what works. I'm too old to make this stuff up.... Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print