Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 12:20am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Ynez River (Read 1956 times)
fivetrout

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Santa Ynez River
Mar 29th, 2006, 5:15pm

Had to post this: Sunday March 26 went up to the Sy River to picnic and give my stepson a chance to practice casting his new fly rod. He hasn't had lessons yet and was kinda discouraged with the ideal of fly fishing since he's always bait fished. So we stopped and picked Aaron up a license on the way, he has just turned 16 last month. Of course I was too cheap to buy one for myself (untill needed). So, at the second crossing on the pond side of the road we set up to picnic. I selected a dry fly (adams, with the poofy white stuff on top for us blind guys and Aaron began slapping the water with his line into a wind. Since I didn't have a license I was afraid to instruct him with rod in hand. Aaron finally by trail and error managed to get his line out 10 or 12 feet when the wind didn't bring it back 4 or 5 feet. Almost every decent cast produced a strike! A fish or two or three would race up from the bottom to strike. Aaron was often too quick, too slow, or too excited to set set the hook at first. After 3 hours he managed to land and release 13 rainbows. As great of a day it was for Aaron...it was even greater day for me!

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Santa Ynez River
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2006, 12:54pm

Wow fivetrout!

Thanks for the report. Sounds like your stepson had a great time. I've got to get up there!

Hope you both come to the meeting on April 11th.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2006, 3:48pm

Congrats....Not many catch fish on their first attempt with the fly. I rolled out early and headed up to the SY this morning. I fished the first crossing, at the boys camp. Tried the Adams dry with a PT dropper and couldn't have bought a fish this morning. I had heard that they were stocking the river on the week of the 27th, I didn't figure it would be earlier than the 27th...Perhaps I'm not reading the F&G site correctly. Glad to hear somebody found the fish this week...thanks for the report.

IP Logged
fivetrout

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2006, 4:48pm

Yes it was tuff this weekend. Picked up a couple Sunday, one at the first crossing, and one at the second (beadhead prince). I talked to a guy tossing lures and he took 8 or 9. Three were 11in and a 12in! He rode his bike back to areas unknown.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print