Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 7:03am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cachuma is on. (Read 1929 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Cachuma is on.
Mar 25th, 2006, 2:08pm

With no stocking on the Santa Ynez, I tried something a little different this morning. I launched the old larson at 7:00 am and headed into cachuma bay. I rigged up my 6wt with a chart/white clouser and started working close to the bank. Within four hours, I brought thirteen bass to hand. 11 smallmouth and 2 largemouth. My clouser looked as though it went through a blender by the end of the day. The bass were tearing them up. Awsome morning despite the rain. I need to tie up a few more clousers and I have to find some way to make them weedless.....lost three to the stick-ups and reeds. Never caught bass on a fly rod, don't think my bass rods are going to get much use anymore. Great battles with 2 & 3 lb fish. The smallmouth can sure put the hurt on a 6wt. One great morning of fishing.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Cachuma is on.
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2006, 3:00pm

Thanks for the report Fishstick.

Bass on a fly rod is great, especially smallmouth!

You might want to try a clouser pattern. They ride hook point up so are less susceptable to snagging.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2006, 3:08pm

I was fishing a clouser. Chart/White & Black/White. I'm dressing a few more tonight. I think I'll try rigging them  weedless with a piece of mono, similiar to how I tie my Vee-worms. I was fishing some pretty heavy stuff, which is where the bass were so  I should expect to loose a couple. Goes with the territory I guess. An easy fly to dress and well worth the loss. Thanks.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2006, 3:20pm

Duh  Shocked , yes you were. says so right in your post. I guess i should read more carefully  Grin

Some stiff heavy mono should help.

I might have to get up to the lake myself and try losing a couple of flies, sounds like a lot of fun!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print