Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 11:01pm
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kern River this last weekend (Read 2573 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Kern River this last weekend
Mar 21st, 2006, 11:46am

I was up on the Kern and thought I post a report and a few pics for the people going up on the outing there this next weekend.

Weather was surprisingly nice. I fished the upper and caught a lot of really nice sized fish. Large bead head nymphs were the ticket. Kern Emergers in various colors size 12 and black and olive nymphs in size 12 and 10. On saturday I caught several on a red cased Kern Emerger.

Here's just a few pictures of some fish I caught:

All the fish were really niced size. Some hit on a dead drift some at the start of a swing and others at the end of a swing. One even hit as I stripped back in to make another cast.

Hope the people on the outing can get into some of the large numbers of big fish in the river this weekend.  

Have fun!

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Kern River this last weekend
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2006, 8:23am

Nice fish Joe. Looks like you were right in town there accross from the trailer park? LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2006, 9:40am

Lew, In those pictures I was fishing right where I took you and Mark near town when I fell asleep in my car. If you remember, I told you that it was a good area for trout that come up out of the lake this time of year (February/March.) I also caught some nice fish right across from the park by the bridge the day before.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2006, 6:12am

I've never fished the Kern, but my interest is peaked now. I grew up in Porterville and most of my river fishing was on the tule forks, coffee camp and wishon. The Kern appears to be about a two hour drive from S.B...is that about right? Is there decent access points and a fly shop in the area?

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2006, 6:13am

P.S. Beautiful fish by the way.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2006, 1:06pm

Yes Fishstick, lots of access, great fishing and a fly shop and guide service in Kernville. Takes me about 2 hours from SB to Kernville. Here's a link with more information and a very informative forum:

http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/

A group from our club went up this weekend; hope they post some reports.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print