Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 18th, 2017, 10:35am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa Ynez 3/19 (Read 2473 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Santa Ynez 3/19
Mar 19th, 2006, 5:37pm

Spent the morning on the Santa Ynez. Scratched out one trout on a dry before the wind came in and made everything difficult. Switched to a prince nymph, and then a SHWAP, with no further success. I have not really fished this river much. I spent a couple of hours at the crossing just above the boys camp. I saw several large fish is a shallow pool, near the bank. I could not tell what they were; however, based on the large size, I would assume that they were carp. Are there large carp in the river?

IP Logged
Lodge
Pending Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Santa Ynez 3/19
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2006, 6:00pm

I haven't fished the river much either, caught 1 on a dry fly on sat. epic conditions except for some wind at times. It seems that when people are reporting multiple fish it is after they stock? I heard it is every other thursday? so it would make sense that by this week it would be fished out somewhat. i also fished exactly 2 weeks ago and caught 1 also. but conditions were very muddy and I was bait fishing--not fly I saw numerous people fishing on sat. but only 1 other person that I saw caught a fish and it was on a nymph.

IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2006, 8:00am

Yeah there are large carp in the river.  I have a dream of hooking one that has yet to manifest itself.  There is always hope.  Nice article in the lastest California Flyfisher about flyfishing for carp. Go stick um!  LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2006, 11:58am

Good to hear you got a trout. Those big carp would be a blast.

The fishing is a lot better after they stock. Seems the bait fisherman clean 'em out the first week after stocking. The river is usually stocked every other week this time of year. The exact day can be different each time. They don't announce the exact day or the crowd might be up there waiting. As it is, word gets out pretty fast after stocking. If you want to know if the week is scheduled for stocking, just check out this link:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishplant/fishplant_r5.html

As you will see, no stocking this week.

If you want to get into some nice trout, check out my latest Kern report.

Hey Lew, ready to go fishin' yet?

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2006, 8:20am

Ready yes but I got this cast on my leg until the middle of April.  Might be able to boat fish or something but the perch and carp will thumb there noses at me in the meantime.   LEW

IP Logged
joe carrillo
Board Member

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2006, 1:49pm

Hey Lew, hope your recovery is going well. Must not be too bad: you got out fishing! That's great!! I fished the SY today and found that most of the water had been worked over pretty heavy. The bait and spinner guys yank them out pretty fast. Cloud cover and warm conditions brought off a nice BWO hatch. I found a pod of working fish and got a few to cooperate.

Joe Carrillo
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print