Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 12:17am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to the forum/Introduction (Read 2140 times)
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

New to the forum/Introduction
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:58am

Hello. Just found the board and figured I'd hang around for awhile. I moved to Santa Barbara County (Santa Ynez) from southeast Alaska in 1987 and my flyrod has been in dusty storage for the past 19years.  I have recently elected to get back in the game in prep for another move taking place next year.(yea! retirement) I've hit the Santa Ynez river on a couple of occassions during the last few weeks with no success. Reading/searching the previous forum posts should help me out some with that. Looking foward to learning as much as possible about FF in the local area.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: New to the forum/Introduction
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2006, 11:15am

Welcome Fishstick! Smiley

Good to hear that fly rod has been liberated!

I believe the Santa Ynez has only been stocked 1 time so far this year. Rain (adequate flow) and cool weather (water temp.) are what prompts the Fish and Game to stock. We should get some more stocking soon. I will probably get up there after the next stocking.

Please do come down to the next meeting (March 7th), details are on the Calendar. There you will meet a lot of people with similar interests. You'll also get a chance to learn about the saltwater opportunities in the area.

We also are planning some club trips. One soon will be to the Kern River. It's a very good fishery that is only about a 3 hr. drive.

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2006, 6:44pm by Forum Admin »  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2006, 11:31am

Thank you. I will do that. I received a notice last week that Neal Taylor is giving a speach tonight in Santa Maria. I've heard that Neal is a wealth of information on fly fishing; however, I don't know much about him. It's a thirty minute drive; however, I don't have anything else going on this evening. Any inf0 on Mr. Taylor?

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2006, 11:41am

Neal Taylor is a great guy. He is an author and seven time National Fly Casting Champion. He taught at our Fly Fishing Academy for youth last year and gave the kids an autographed copy of his book.

I'd say it's worth the drive.  Smiley

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2006, 11:46am

nuff said. I'm going. Thanks.

IP Logged
Fishstick
Silver Member

Sit long, talk much

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2006, 12:21pm

Thanks for the advice again. It was well worth the trip. Neal was an excellent speaker.

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2006, 1:26pm

Good to hear you enjoyed it Fishstick.

Something else you may find of interest is the Fly Fishing Show in Ontario on the 25th and 26th. Check the Calendar of Events

Some members may be car pooling down there.

I'll probably be there both days. Look for me at the Kern River Fly Fishing booth or the Clark Fork River Outfitters and Guide School booth.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print