Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 12:06am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tongass National Forest/Alaska Coalition (Read 2139 times)
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Tongass National Forest/Alaska Coalition
Nov 28th, 2005, 8:20am

Some of our members who frequent SE Alaska brought an appeal from the Alaska Coalition to the board's attention.  At issue here is the protection of roadlees areas in the Tongass National Forest.  There is a demand for old growth timber for high grade venneer. We don't really need this product it's just nice to have (or get the last of) in some people's values.  Anyhow the Alaslka Coalition asked to have our name as an organization added to a "sportsman's letter" to the Forest Supervisor, Dale Bosworth, that requests more involvement of hunters and anglers in the new forest plan being currently developed.  I talked to Scott Hed who is a director in the Alaska Coalition and he assured me that there are no hidden commitments or agendas in this request and that is just show of power to the Tongass Forest Service that lot more people are concerned about the future of the Tongass than they think.  My experience with these kind of efforts in the past is that they keep proceedures on the up and up and demand responsiblity form Forest Managers.  
I gave him the OK to put our name on the letter with hundreds of other organizations.  

Check out http://alaskacoalition.org  the lastest news letter gives a good perspective of this groups purpose.  

LEW Riffle

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2005, 7:32am by Forum Admin »  
  IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Tongass National Forest/Alaska Coalition
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2005, 7:54am

Is this the right page Lew?

http://www.akrain.org/actionalerts/TLMP

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Tongass National Forest/Alaska Coalition
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2005, 5:34am

I gave the home page address for the Alaska Coalition to allow a broader view.  Yes this is the specific issue that the "sportsman's letter" was addressing.
                                          LEW

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print