Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2017, 12:14am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Striper Grail at Silverwood Lake (Read 1834 times)
mwarnock

Keep the tension!

Striper Grail at Silverwood Lake
Nov 10th, 2005, 7:50pm

Hello - I was fortunate enough to attend the meeting on Wednesday night with my Dad, it was a great lecture and slideshow on the Madison river in Montana.  Anyways, just wanted to let the SB crowd know of the Striper Grail taking place this Saturday at Silverwood lake in Los Angeles County.  Mostly everyone in attendance is a focused saltwater fly fisherman, but we are giving up the beaches for a weekend to chase Stripers and Largemouth bass in this great fishery Silverwood lake. Please feel free to attend if you are interested in chasing Stripers on a fly.  I have been tying up Shad and Trout patterns, they have been coming out a little funky since I just started tying a couple of months ago and usually are creating worm and crusteacean patterns.  I hope the fish are hungry.  If anyone makes it, please look me up there will be 4 or 5 boats and we'll have a great Carne Asada lunch and I'm making my SB guacamole recipe you won't want to miss.
Thanks for the guide lecture and I will try to make as many of the meetings I can when I find myself in town in the middle of the week.
Thanks,
Matt Warnock

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Striper Grail at Silverwood Lake
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2005, 5:00pm

Wish I could have been there Matt. I couldn't even make it to the Santa Ynez river cleanup today. Trying to catch up on work so I can get to the Piru meeting on Monday and then head up to the Kern.

Well, anxious to here how you did. It might inspire me to make a trip up to Silverwood.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
mwarnock

Keep the tension!

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2005, 3:51pm

Hey Joe - Well..... Striper fishing is a little challenging.  My friend and I got skunked, although it was a great learning experience.  The event was called the Striper Grail, and was organized through Gary Bulla's saltwater flyfishing forum and it sure shows how a site can help organize a group or event.  There were three boats, the Clouserhead with Capt. Randy and Tim B., The Love Boat pontoon boat with Capt. Caldy, Hip and Glen T. (from Fliflicker board), and the Darth Invader with Capt. Ron and the organizer Sung.  We were on a great little rental and we all had radios so it was the Bulla Armada chasing boils, metering fish, dropping marking buoys and relaying depths to all the boats so it made it a real learning experience and a fun fun day.  We would follow a boat and they would give us a depth reading and could see the fish stacked on a shelf and pointed us to a starting point for our drift along the area.  We then tried to find the bottom, and since it was a soft bottom we didn't loose any flies, and when you got briefly hung up you knew you were on bottom.  They showed us the Yo-Yo technique where you hit bottom, strip in 3 or 4 feet and then drop the line back in.  All while drifting, this helps the whitey fly imitate a injured shad bouncing across the shelf and through the area they were getting the readings from.  We also tried trolling and then just casting in waiting to 30 and then a slow strip into the boat.  It was pretty frustrating, but fishing events are too classic so the day flew by, we had a great Carne Asada bbq, the 7 large avocado SB guacamole was gone by the time the tacos were served so I was glad that was a hit. If you go to the forum on Garyís site (garybulla.com) youíll see some of the photos. One of the real experienced guys from the board Hip, caught a beautiful striper and had to be one of the largest from the day.  It was worth the whole trip just to see him and Tim B. casting, you really can tell a serious double-haul when you see it.  I went out this morning at Dockweiler just to work on it.  Hope you get a chance to check out the shots, one day I will get into some boils and land a schoolie!!

Good luck on the Piru Creek meeting, Iíll try and get out there if I can.  Piru creek is an amazing place and needs to continue although there are quite a few challenges already.  It makes me sick to see all the trash left behind and more than once Iíve put out abandoned smoldering campfires.  That creek needs attention and thank you for your effort to save the fishery.

Go to Silverwood if you have the chance, itís a real beautiful spot and an active largemouth and striper lake.
Matt

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2005, 1:06pm

Sounds like a good time!  Smiley

Wish I'd known about it sooner.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1