Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 17th, 2017, 9:42am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Save Piru Creek Meeting (Read 2858 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Save Piru Creek Meeting
Nov 2nd, 2005, 9:12am

The Santa Clarita Casting Club, in conjunction with Friends of the River and Cal Trout, will be hosting the meeting on November 14th, 7 PM, at the Activities Center on Centre Point Pkwy in Santa Clarita.

The purpose is to formulate a game plan that we can take to Sacramento to save this wild and scenic river.

If you plan to attend you should RSVP to:

Judy McLean
Conservation Chair
Santa Clarita Casting Club
Phone: 661-242-2349
Judymac007@yahoo.com

They need to know how many will be attending so they can be prepared.

The address is:

20880 Centre Point Pkwy
Santa Clarita, CA

Directions from Santa Barbara

Directions from LA area

Directions from Bakersfield

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2005, 9:50am by Forum Admin »  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Re: Save Piru Creek Meeting REport
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2005, 5:41am

The meeting went off very well. The newly established Santa Clarita Casting Club did a good job and looks like they will continue to be the "home source" in getting things networked towards an effort get Piru a statis of "Wild and Scenic".   We will be needing a lot of input supporting this effort in the future.  The Forest Service has very reluctantly recomended that it get this statis and would love  for it to just go away.  What will be needed is a fresh thinking and approaches. We as a community of users will have to come up with more than just saying "do it" and work along the lines of "this is how we can do it".  Stay tuned. This could become a real positive project where we can make policy from nothing more than our passion of a place as common ground to network us together.   LEW

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Save Piru Creek Meeting
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2005, 7:42am

Thanks for the report Lew!

Why is the Forest Service "reluctant" in their support?

Is there anything you would recommend an individual do in terms of letters or other contact with officials to show support?

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
mwarnock

Keep the tension!

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2005, 8:03pm

Hello Lew and Joe - Although I didn't attend the meeting I would like to help.  I can assist in helping create an awareness campaign.  Please email me with any information that could be promoted. I may be able to help with the creation of a web site or collateral, although the website would be the easiest and least inexpensive.

Matt Warnock
mattwarnock@gmail.com
213-627-4990

Email   IP Logged
Lew_Riffle
Board Member

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2005, 5:27am

Without getting to politically incorrect here I think I can comment that the Forest  Service seeks to minimize their responsibility on any issue that takes any commitment beyond what they have to deal with already
Put in a heathy dose of all us baby boomers looking at retirement in a few years there is a growing mood of apathy in the ranks. The Piru has been a problem of enforcement. Gangs, pot growers, poachers, potters, and generally abusive public use are just a smattering of this list.  If you have ever been to Frenchman's Flat below Pyrarmid or saw Blue point Campground a decade ago you can understand that the Forest Service just does not want the grief. The Forest Plan has been going for the past couple of years and the Piru did not get much attention until last year when DWR tried a fast EIR to get out of sending water down the creek under the gise of drying the creek out to kill bull frogs to save arroyo toads. Anyhow friends in the Los Padres Forest Service Forst manged to get the Piru recomended after all the public input was over by getting it one on its unusal geology and the foot got stuck in the door with the rest  our opprotunity.  Stay tuned.  LEW

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print