Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 10:52am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fall Fly Fishing in and around SB (Read 2332 times)
BHelton

Fall Fly Fishing in and around SB
Oct 4th, 2005, 7:32am

We had a huge winter, and a mild summer, there must still be plenty of water.  I just got back from bridgeport, where we fished the west walker and east walker rivers and some alpine lakes for golden, the fishing was fantastic.  Has anybody fished the Sespe or Piru creeks?  How about Reyes creek, manzana?  I'm looking for some decent fishing for wild or planted trout and would love some ideas.  thank you in advance for your reply.

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: Fall Fly Fishing in and around SB
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2005, 10:49am

Welcome BHelton,

Lucky you! I've been wanting to get up in that area.

Don't know what the flows are on Sespe but water temperature is also a factor. Reyes Creek and Rose Valley Lake also get warm. This summer, after our Fly Fishing Academy, the DFG offered to stock for the kids to have a field trip. Those areas could not be stocked because of high water temperatures.

Piru has been and is effected by litter and poaching. There have been several reports of people gill netting trout in the wild section.

I've gotten reports of steelhead being in Manzana and Davy Brown earlier this year, don't know if that's still the case. They are protected so any caught would have to be released. Most I know would not fish them because of the fragile nature of area steelhead populations. At this time there is no stocking of local streams.

The San Gabriel is another area in LA County with some opportunities but is also subject to destructive crowds especially in summer.

The Santa Ana River and Santa Ana River South Fork in San Bernadino County are being stocked this week so I guess conditions are good there.

Once the water temperatures cool, we may get some stocking in areas like the Santa Ynez if flows are good and the stocking money is available.

Sorry if I've painted a grim picture of fishing prospects in Southern California but with increasing population and decreasing DFG funds, well ....

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, there is the Kern. The fishing there right now is red hot! Go here to learn more about this often forgotten area:

http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/

Be sure and let us know if you find any good fishing.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
BHelton

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2005, 1:51pm

Joe,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I went ahead and did some hiking (fishing gear in the truck) along the sespe this afternoon.  water flows are low, but there is enough water to support fish, unfortunately you are right, it's too warm.  i've fished the kern, don't mind the drive, but it's a couple day trip.  

too bad about the piru creek, if what you said is true, and i believe it probably is, it's horrible.  unfortunately, it's not a big surprise.  how about bouquet creek, i hear it's still being stocked, have you heard anything about it?  

thanks again, maybe i'll get an 8wt and fly fish the surf.

Email   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2005, 8:24pm

Don't know how bouquet caynon creek has fared over the years but their not stocking at this time of year.

Here's a link to the stocking reports:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishplant/index.html

and here's a link to detailed rstocking reports for Kern and Tulare counties:

http://www.friendsofthehatchery.com/reports/stocking.html

As far as fishing the surf, you don't need an 8wt. Many fish the local water with 5, 6 & 7wt. A 6wt with a sink tip or a 200 grain shooting head would work fine. You may wish you had an 8wt if you hook a large halibut but you'll have a blast.

Are you a member of the club? Come down to the next meeting and say hello. You'll get lots of local inf0 there. It's on the the 11th this month. Check the calendar:

http://www.sbflyfishers.com/events/scotscal3.mvc

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
lternullo
Board Member

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2005, 6:08pm

My river of choice locally used to be the Sespe.  Prior to a big blowout after massive rainfall in the mid 90's, the Sespe used to produce 30-50 fish days.  Not huge fish, but very energetic and beautiful.  I have not heard of any success lately, though it is inevitable that the fish will return in good numbers.  The best fishing that I am aware of is about a 7-10 mile hike back from Lions Campground between the Cottonwoods and Willets Springs.  It's an overnight backpack trip and fairly strenuous at that.  The best time to go is probably in the spring after the rains have subsided.  Otherwise, the surf is the closest venue and can be awesome when conditions are right.  Good luck.

Lou Ternullo

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2005, 9:05am

Lou, funny you should mention that area. Just heard a report from someone that fished it last week. They reported good flows, caught a few fish in the 12" to 13" range and even saw a steelhead. The were up around Alder Creek.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print