Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 14th, 2017, 12:05am
Home Help Search Login Register
[ TIDE TABLES ]  ***  [ STOCKING REPORTS ]  ***  [ BUY FISHING LICENSE ]

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new to fly fishing (Read 5617 times)
mstrome

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

new to fly fishing
Jul 8th, 2004, 8:20am

I am just getting started in fly fishing, and want to know if anyone out there nows of a place to get cheap used gear or anywhere to try before you by. I live in SB and there doesn't seem to be any shops in town. another thing does anyone know of a shop that has beginner classes (a little time in the class and time on the water) thanks mstrome

IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Re: new to fly fishing
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2004, 7:24am

Welcome, mstrome, to fly fishing and this board!

Hopefully this will help you get started:

The store in town that has the most fly fishing equipment is:

Hook Line And Sinker
4010 Calle Real Ste 5
Santa Barbara, CA 93110
Phone:      (805) 687-5689

They have some (not much) at Sportmart:

Sportmart
7035 Market Place Dr
Goleta, CA 93117-5904
Phone:      (805) 968-8551  

In Oxnard there is a Sport Chalet with a fair amount of stuff, including some tying materials:

Sport Chalet
1885 E Ventura Blvd
Oxnard, CA 93030
Phone:      (805) 485-5222

The closest fly shop with people that have knowledge about fly fishing is in Thousand Oaks:

Malibu Fish'n Tackle      
3166 E Thousand Oaks Blvd
Thousand Oaks, CA 91362-3403
Phone:      (805) 496-7332

They offer classes.

There is also fly shop in Grover Beach

Hole In the Wall Fly Shop      
1543 W Grand Ave
Grover Beach, CA 93433-2226
Phone:      (805) 481-0767

If you get down to the LA area, in Orange county you can visit the "Disneyland" of fly shops:

Bob Marriott's Fly Fishing Store
2700 W Orangethorpe Ave
Fullerton, CA 92833-4212
Phone:      (714) 525-1827  

They have everything and more.

If you want a book to help you get started with some good advice and humor, I would recommend:

"The Curtis Creek Manifesto" by Sheridan Anderson
ISBN 0-936608-06-4

A wealth of information can be found at:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com

Check out the "Flyfishing Basics" section. You will find articles on everything!

Last, but not least, be sure to come down to a meeting. You will find a lot of friendly people with advice that can help you get started, and maybe some used equipment. In fact I think I have some I will be selling. I will contact you by e-mail when I have a look at what that might be.

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Jack_Marshall

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2004, 6:24pm

Mstrome:
     I second all of the suggestions of our host, and I have a couple of my own. First off, forget the used market. There are marvelous values in outfits consisting of rod, reel, and line. Loomis has them. Cabela's has them. Cortland has them. Many fly shops have them. Or you can order them online or from a catalog. For about $250 you can have a balanced outfit that will cast like a dream. In a few years you'll have some more advanced equipment, but the original outfit will very likely still be your favorite.
     Second, start by learning to cast. Get instruction and practice in your yard or in the street. Guides and pals will take you where the fish are, but you have to get the fly to the fish with some precision. Otherwise all of the lessons are lost. Besides, casting is fun. It's what we do when we don't have a fish on the hook. Sure it beats up the line, but a person who casts well will catch a lot of fish in spite of a beat-up line.  
     Welcome to our pastime.  8)

Jack
frwyjack   IP Logged
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Board Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2004, 1:12pm

Jack is right, even with less than $200.00 ( or maybe $100), in your budget you can get very good new equipment. Some examples of complete outfits at bargain prices are:

Redington Redfly outfits starting at $169, includes everything you need except the fly (I think it even comes with a hat.)

Redington Crosswater outfits starting at $99
http://www.redington.com

Albright Tackle, starting at $129. (includes everything but a rod case)
http://albrighttackle.com/

Here are some complete outfits at the Cortland factory store on sale right now, fresh and salt water outfits for $89 to $129.
http://www.cortlandline.com/factorystore/index.php?action=category&id=1& subid=57

The best part is that the equipment you can get at low prices today is better than what you may have paid twice as much for years ago.

« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2004, 10:53am by Forum Admin »  

Joe M
WWW   IP Logged
Paasco

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2005, 6:27am

If you are a true beginning, I urge you to take a lesson before buying anything.  I am a member of the SB Flyfishers and give lessons as well as guide on the lower Owens River near Bishop.  I have all the equipment you will need and will be having a class in the fall.  If you are a woman, I also feature an all women's class in the fall as well.  You can reach me at paasco@msn.com.  Rick Paaske  PH# 688-6397.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print